Thursday, January 3, 2008

What if we don't come back?

Back in December 2007 I said to Venece that I wanted to start sailing around the world by the time I'm 40. That was 7 years away. We were in Honolulu for the marathon. 7 years, I think, will be enough time to do what we need. Professionally, she's just at the start of her new career.

"You know what scares me about this?" I asked her in the kitchen one day. "What if we don't want to come back? That's what scares me. How about you- what scares you?" What if I end up not wanting to go, she said, and you do. That's what scares me.

It's such a selfish thing, a dream. If it were a separate entity- if it existed outside of you- it would demand all of your effort, all of your attention. It would haunt you by day and night, an aching tooth in your mind.

No comments: